Over the years we have been asked by several families if we can point them in the direction of granny annexe buildings that you can rent, sometimes just for a short period. Up until now, we haven’t been able to help as the self-contained living annexes we knew about were only available as a full purchase package. We are, therefore, excited to introduce you to the Smart Care Pod range by Bauhu.
The Smart Care Pods are available in three different sizes: 20sqm, 30sqm and 40msqm. The typical monthly rentals are £1,100 for the 20sqm unit, £1,550 for the 30sqm unit and £1,760 for the 40sqm unit. These prices are based on a five-year rental period and include delivery, installation and insurance. You would need to budget for Planning Permission costs and the connection to the services, ie electricity, water and sewerage on top of these prices.
A unique approach
Renting is not the only unique approach, that Smart Care Pods are bringing to the self-contained garden annexe market. The pods are designed specifically for elderly or disabled people, to make their lives and the lives of their carers easier. The annexes include:
- Universal access – the pods have been designed so that users with limited mobility can move around their home with ease.
- Home automation – the pods are fitted with a sophisticated home automation for everyday tasks. The system can be operated via a touchscreen or via a TV interface.
- Carer interface – a data retrieval and logging system allows carers to access and share details on the occupants daily care.
- Voice control – voice-controlled systems allow elderly and disabled occupants to trigger alarms with their voice.
- Future proof – factory fitted systems are installed for hoists and specialist equipment to be installed at a later date as needs change.
- Accessible bathrooms – wetroom style bathrooms allow for assisted showering and wheelchair accessibility.
- Fitted furniture – bespoke fitted kitchenette and wardrobes create maximise space and uncluttered storage.
Fully built off-site
Each of the Smart Care Pods is manufactured off-site in factory conditions. The highly insulated structures are built upon a steel frame. The exterior of the building is clad in composite finishes with the doors and windows glazed with laminated security glass. Doors and windows feature Yale security locking systems.
The high levels of insulation are coupled with low energy underfloor heating so the annexe will be cosy and warm during the colder months of the year. The pods fully comply with UK Building Regulations with many aspects surpassing the current standards.
Once built in the factory, the Smart Care Pod is transported to the customers home by lorry; it is then craned into position. Depending on your situation the pod can either sit on a concrete slab foundation or be fitted with self-levelling feet, which enable the foundation to be removed cleanly from the site should you remove the building in the future.
This is a very interesting approach to providing a home in the garden for a loved one. It could be a great option if you don’t have the funds to buy a granny annexe outright, it could also work well if you only envisage needing a home in your garden for a relatively short period of time.
To learn more and to obtain a quote for your specific situation visit the Smart Care Pods website.