Do you need Planning Permission to work in a garden office

Many people are visiting this site looking for a building they can work from, or run a business in. We are often asked if they will need to apply for Planning Permission to do this. There is a lot written about Planning Permission and Permitted Development that actually relates to the building, but not so much about your position in relation to the type of work you will be undertaking in your garden office.

Well the definitive resource for Planning Permission queries is the Planning Portal who have a guide to Planning Permission and working from home.

The article asks you to consider the following questions and if you answer ‘yes’ to any of them you will need to apply for Planning Permission:

  • Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
  • Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
  • Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
  • Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

The article goes on to explain that the key test is whatever work you are doing is your house & garden still predominately a ‘home’ or has it become business premises.

The article suggests to be sure on your position you apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development.

So, if you are thinking of buying a garden office to work in, check out this article first.


Visit the Garden Spaces websiteVisit the eDEN Garden Rooms websiteVisit the Gembuild website for garden offices & studiosVisit the Harrison James websiteFind out more about Green Studios Visit the Booths Garden Studios websiteVisit the Timeless Garden Rooms website Visit the Smart Garden Offices websiteVisit the Hideouts websiteVisit the ModBox Spaces websiteVisit the My Eco Space websiteSee what a garden room will look like in your garden